How can you help your spouse or partner cut the bad habits out of his life,like smoking, drinking alcohol and other more ?

Post image
25 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Maybe can encourage him with something interesting or motivation. Talk to him but not all guys will listen. My hubby is a heavy smoker when i know him and he used to smoke few pack everytime i met him during our dating days but because there's some encouragement and motivation in his life he choose to cut down his smoking by having some other activities and others alternative in life and eventually as time past he success quitting his bad habits but he did suffer a little when he trying to quit smoking . After all everything is worth it as time past 😆

Read more

While my wife has never been much of a smoker, drinker, etc. I do have family members that a) Have e suffered from substance abuse problems; and b) had a partner who suffered from an addiction. Generally speaking, the first step that needs to be made is towards reaching out to them and letting them know that their addiction is beginning to become not just a source of frustration and anger for you, but a detriment to the family. Your partner needs to know--if their problem is serious, that is--that their problem is hurting the family.

Read more

First some questions: does he want to stop these things? Did he do them before you had a little one? Does he do any of this around your kid? If he doesn't want to stop, isn't harming your kid and was doing it when you got together, its hard to get him to stop now. Ask yourself: why do you want this to happen, especially now? In answer to your q: you can ask him to stop and this will be gradual thing which cant include anger or nagging - but it may be tough.

Read more
VIP Member

Its experience for everyone on their own life, until they focus on the positive and negative sides. Decision making side should be bold enough to handle the correct descision. You can explain the benifits and harm that bad habit is doing to person along with the impact that it is doing on the body. Once they realise that its not going to be good for them they can start avoiding it

Read more

My husband is an alcoholic. The only way you can help him is to be supportive. It is not a thing to be taken lightly. Neither can it be explained just here. It would be good to walk in NAMS. National addict management singapore. Its like a resort on its own. Located in IMH. If you need more details let me know. Ill be happy to advise you further.

Read more

By being supportive to your spouse. I think one should not nag as when a person has become addictive then it would take time to leave that addiction. One should be patient and should not lose one's cool as your partner and you might have anticipated. Stand like a rock with him/her and work together tiaras it.

Read more

My hubby used to struggle with smoking. However, with God's help and a lot of support and encouragement from me, friends and family, he eventually won over that habit. Tiwala at suporta talaga ang kailangan nila =)

Cutting out bad habits takes a lot of support and patience from your side too. Even if the partner is committed to make changes to lifestyle and is taking medication, there will be relapses but the key is patience!

It depends if he/she wans to get rid of e bad habit. My hubby is a smoker. He has been smoking since sec sch days. It is difficult to cut and he doesnt wan to do so. So wad i can do is to slowly influence him.

VIP Member

First of all patience. Try and go out for meals together, exercise like taking walks , going to the gym etc and show him articles of the harmful effects of drinking smoking etc