Does drinking lemon water affect breast milk supply?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

First and foremost, hydration is the key to a healthy milk supply. If putting lemon juice in your water will help you to drink enough water daily to maintain optimal hydration, then you and your baby will benefit. Drinking enough water is top priority I know there are a number of popular recommendations about how much water to drink daily, but I recommend drinking half your body weight in ounces of water. Breast feeding and drinking lemon water Secondly, when adding fresh-squeezed lemon juice to your water, I recommend starting with ¼ lemon in 8 to 12 ounces once a day and increasing that to ½ lemon in 8 to 12 ounces once or twice a day, preferably 30 minutes before a meal. Drinking lemon water 30 to 60 minutes before eating will provide numerous benefits to your digestive system. Benefits for the baby Since you are breast feeding, the better your digestive system is working, the less likely your baby will have digestive issues -- including the gas, bloating, cramping, irregular bowels, etc. The more complete you can digest your food, assimilate nutrients, and eliminate waste, the more likely your baby will also get optimal nutrition and “clean” milk. In addition to the digestive benefits (helping to break food down), drinking lemon water is known to improve toxin elimination in the body. It does this in several ways—by helping the bowels to remove waste efficiently, by promoting healthy liver function, and by helping to cleanse the blood. Most importantly, lemon water can help clear the liver and detoxification system of the mother’s body without dumping toxins into the milk.

Read more

For nursing mothers, drinking lemon water has a lot of benefits because it is a rich source of vitamin C, riboflavin, vitamin B, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, carbohydrates, and proteins. So drinking lemon water during breastfeeding is beneficial to both you and your baby. Lemon water promotes digestion, nutrient assimilation, and toxin elimination in our body. Thus, in the long run, lemon water prevents the entry of toxins in the milk supply. Besides helping mommy keep hydrated, it also ensures your baby gets nutritious and "clean" milk. http://www.momjunction.com/articles/benefits-of-lemon-water-during-breastfeeding_00357237/

Read more

Lemon water supplies healthy breast. Lemon juice keeps your body well hydrated. It helps to ensure that the baby gets the fresh and the healthy portion of the breast milk. One must take lemon water while breastfeeding the child. Besides this, it also removes toxins from the body of the mother. Thus, in turn, it helps to supply good and healthy milk to the baby which is free from harmful toxins.

Read more
VIP Member

Actually for some of my friends lemon water is actually a milk booster. For me lemon infused water causes my baby to be gassy.

TapFluencer

Lemon water is organic and healthy. This hydrates you. It should not affect your breast milk supply negatively